LBC Grade Six Teaching Guide & Resources
Teaching Guide and Resources for students ages 10-11 or families wishing to combine students 9-12 for study.
Grade Six completes a six-year cycle of study in American and World History. World History covers the 18th-20th century and American History covers the 20th century. Both histories converge in a study of the 20th century, primarily WWI, The Great Depression, and WWII. Grade Six also correlates the study of these time periods with poetry, Picture Study and Composer Study. Science includes the four strands of earth, physical, health, and life studies as explored in The Story-Book of Science and the a study of the history of chemistry. This year also includes a complete review of basic grammar.
Print version: 207 pages, wire bound
Digital version: direct download
A 120-page guide has the 4-weeks-at-a-glance format and includes many helps and instructions for applying Charlotte Mason’s principles of education and for planning by day, week, and month.
The Grade Six Resources include a full year of picture study, articles on the Charlotte Mason philosophy, an editable, printable planner, maps for geography, templates, and many more helpful educational materials. This grade covers:
- Christian Studies-Scripture, Heroes of the Faith journal, and practical work (according to CM guidelines).
- Language Arts-poetry, 18th & 19th century poets; storytelling, folk literature, grammar and language use. Dictation recitation and copywork are taken from readings in history and science.
- Geography-Around the World in 80 Days, with map work focusing on the places and events mentioned in the histories, science and geography literature.
- Science-uses the incomparable Story Book of Science, by Jean Henri Fabre to cover biology, technology, botany, astronomy, weather and chemistry. Study of chemistry follows.
- Nature Study-regular work in Nature Journal. Using the Handbook of Nature Study, the areas of focus for each term are: 1) ants, wasps, bees; 2) mammals (wild); 3) indoor plants; 4) reptiles.
- Picture Study-Rembrandt, Cassatt, Van Gogh, Turner. Grade Six Resource CD contains all the pictures needed for study.
- World History-the eras of study are Enlightenment to the Modern Age (1700s to 1960s), with focus on Britain’s rise to power and her role in colonization of Africa, Asia and India.
- American History-the era of study is 20th century, addressing major events such as WWI, Great Depression, WWII and the Civil Rights Movement.
- Composer Study-Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert and Brahms. Biographies of each composer and samples of their works for study. Biographies and audios for listening are included with purchase.