A 214-page guide which includes the week-by-week guide, and term-by-term overview, notes, helps and maps. The rescources include a full year of picture study, articles, a printable planner, e-text of Pilgrim’s Progress and many more educational materials, maps, and templates. This grade covers:
- Christian studies—Scripture, Pilgrim’s Progress, Heroes of the Faith studies, such as Blaise Pascal, George Fredric Handel, and practical Christian service (according to CM guidelines).
- Language Arts—storytelling, folk literature, grammar and language use. Dictation recitation and copywork are taken from readings in history and science. Shakespeare’s As You Like It.
- Geography—A study of the origin of mapping and the famous mapmaker, Amerigo Vespucci, as well as mapping the countries studied in history.
- Science—Studies the invention and use of the microscope.
- Hands-on experiments with the microscope. A study in personal health and hygiene and a study of classification of living things. An introduction to physics.
- Nature Study—regular work in child’s Nature Journal. Using the Handbook of Nature Study, the areas of focus for each term are: 1) fungi; 2) birds of prey; 3) winter stars; 4) insects of the field and wood.
- Picture Study—da Vinci, Michelangelo, Durer, and Velasquez are the artist of the Renaissance to be studied. LBC Grade Five Resource CD contains all the pictures needed for study.
- World History—the eras of study are the Renaissance and the Reformation (1550-1750 AD), with focus on those individuals who transformed the medieval world and ushered in the Enlightenment and beyond.
- American History—the era of study is 19h century America. This post-Civil War period was one of unprecedented growth, creativity and invention. The people and events that made this time great will be enjoyed.
- Composer Study—Haydn, Handel and Mozart are the composers for study. Biographies and musical compositions included. The last term focuses on an appreciation of 19th century folk music.